Sites: Monthly Archives

Categories

About this Archive

This page is an archive of entries in the Sites category from June 2010.

Sites: January 2012 is the next archive.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.

Sites: June 2010 archives

Rose garden at K Squadron

Posted by HWF on June 12, 2010
rosesatKsquadron.jpg
This intriguing photograph shows the rose garden at K Squadron, at North Camp. The view is looking north, and North Stoneham House can just be seen at the centre of the picture. A photograph of Major Fisher was also taken at this location.

North Camp glimpsed from Stoneham Park House

Posted by HWF on June 12, 2010
viewfromSPH.jpg
(click to enlarge)

In this ghostly 1915 photograph taken from the terrace of Stoneham Park House, the Depot's North Camp can be seen in the distance, beyond the golf course.

Demobilisation and clearing the site

Posted by HWF on June 11, 2010
In January 1919 - as at Remount Depots across the country - the horses at Swaythling were offerered for sale to the public. The photograph shows the auctioneer Mr Stiles King, of Walter & King. The cart is marked 'D. Squadron / Swaythling'.

horsesale3.jpg
The accounts of the Fleming Estate show that in 1921, substantial compensation was received from the War Department: £11,500 (about £406,000 at 2007 prices).

accounts_compensation1.jpg
Willis Fleming Historical Trust, WFHT 70

The Estate also received payment for materials removed from the site, for instance £300 for the sale of concrete to Osmond & Co.

accounts_concrete1921.jpg
Willis Fleming Historical Trust, WFHT 70

A small part of the compensation monies (£100) was donated to North Stoneham Church.

accounts_compensation2.jpg
Willis Fleming Historical Trust, WFHT 63

Meanwhile the site of the Remount Depot still had to be returned to pasture. The tenant farmer Theodore Theoliphus Green was paid for undertaking this work - over several years. Harry Clifford, the Estate carter, was employed carting away the materials. This process wasn't completed until 1927, by which time Green and Clifford's costs to the Estate had amounted to £3875.

accounts_compensation3.jpg
Willis Fleming Historical Trust, WFHT 63

accounts_compensation4.jpg
Willis Fleming Historical Trust, WFHT 70

Harry Clifford's personal fieldbook for the years 1922-27 survives, and records the days spent at the vanishing camp, interspersed with other work on the Estate.

clifford_fieldbook.jpg
Willis Fleming Historical Trust, WFHT 84

In 1932, the site was used for the Royal Show, obliterating all traces of the Depot.

Location of the Remount Depot

Posted by HWF on June 11, 2010
By 1915, the Remount Depot had three large sites, surrounding Hardmoor Copse at Stoneham Park. (Link to Google Maps.)

sitemap_os_500px.jpg
Site plan superimposed on 1908 OS Map.

sitemap_google_500px.jpg
Site plan superimposed on satellite image (Google Earth)

North Camp

The North Camp occupied 51 acres, mostly within a portion of the Park known as 'the Lawn' (which was later the showground for the 1932 Royal Show). This view is looking east along the M27, with Junction 5 in the distance, showing that the motorway now bisects the site of the North Camp. The white arrow on the bottom left of the image indicates the position and site-line of a 1915 photograph (below) which was taken from the roof of a barracks hut.

goofle1.jpg
North Camp site plan superimposed on satellite image (Google Earth).

The South Camp

The South Camp was built on fields on Underwoods Farm and Swaythling Farm (both on the Fleming Estate), each side of Bassett Green Road, stretching from Stoneham Lane to Bassett Green village. At the centre were two vast forage barns, from which a light railway network spread out. The Camp also contained the Officers' Quarters, a large electricity generating station, and a men's hospital. The area is now covered by housing (Leaside Way - Brading Close - Bonchurch Close - Ethelburt Avenue - Poppy Road - Lobelia Road - Lupin Road).

goofle3.jpg
South Camp site plan superimposed on satellite image (Google Earth).

The Veterinary Hospital

The Veterinary Hospital occupied 14-acre Hardmoor Close, on the northeast side of Bassett Green Road, northwest of Bassett Green village. There were also loose boxes placed along the southwest side of Bassett Green Road. As well as being crossed by the M27, the site is today mostly covered by housing (Monks Wood Close). The bridge in the foreground leads to Stoneham Golf Club.

goofle2.jpg
Site plan superimposed on satellite image (Google Earth).